- In Denver, youth smoke about 10.8 million packs of cigarettes each year. That's a lot of cigarettes - all smoked by kids who are underage!
- More than 10,000 people died in Denver from tobacco-related illness between 2006 and 2010.
- Yet, every year, nearly 5,300 Colorado youth become new daily smokers.
Right now, tobacco retailers don't need a license to sell tobacco in Denver. In fact, only 14 states do not have a tobacco retail license requirement. Colorado is one of them.
- 48% of all Denver youth, including 68% of Denver 11th graders, say it would be easy for them to get their own cigarettes.
- In 2008, 60% of underage Colorado smokers who tried to buy tobacco from a store were successful.
- Between October 2011 and October 2012, 248 tobacco retailers were evaluated for underage sales. 18% of assessed retailers sold to minors!