Data about the Public Health Effects of Marijuana
Denver Public Health regularly assesses data to identify trends and public health impacts of marijuana use in Denver. The reports below provide information about marijuana use in Denver. Links to reports and information from other organizations that are also monitoring health impacts of marijuana in the state of Colorado are also included.
Denver Public Health Reports and Tools
- May 2018: Marijuana Surveillance Brief Report: Diagnosed Cannabis Poisoning and Adverse Effects.
- April 2018: Substance Use Exposure Dashboard for Denver County, populated by call data from Rocky Mountain Poison and Drug Center Poison Help Line related to marijuana, alcohol, and/or opioids.
- December 2016: Denver Vital Signs: Denver's Approach to Protecting Public Health Related to Legalized Marijuana.
- February 2017: Marijuana and Other Substance Use and Beliefs among Denver High School Students (2013-2015).
- Coming Soon: Summary Report on Marijuana Use and Health Effects in Denver.
Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment Reports
- Guide to Worker Safety and Health in the Marijuana Industry: January 2017.
- Monitoring Health Concerns Related to Marijuana in Colorado: 2016
- Marijuana research studies.
- Trends and scientific literature about marijuana use and health effect.
- State-level Healthy Kids Colorado Survey data.
Reports and Information about Health Effects of Marijuana Use from Other Organizations in Colorado
- Colorado Department of Public Safety Report: Marijuana Legalization in Colorado: Early Findings
- Colorado Department of Revenue: Licensed marijuana facilities in Colorado
- Colorado Division of Criminal Justice, Department of Public Safety: Reports on the impact of marijuana
- Denver Office of Drug Strategy: Substance Use / Health Outcomes
- Denver Office of Marijuana Policy: Marijuana Data and Statistics
- Denver Open Data Catalog: search “marijuana”
- Denver Public Schools: Safety and discipline reports
Recent Journal Articles about Marijuana and Public Health
- Association of State Recreational Marijuana Laws With Adolescent Marijuana Use, Cerdá, Journal of the American Medical Association Pediatrics, December 2016
- Do More Robust Prescription Drug Monitoring Programs Reduce Prescription Opioid Overdose? Pardo, Addiction, December 2016
- Opioids Out, Cannabis In: Negotiating the Unknowns in Patient Care for Chronic Pain, Choo, Journal of the American Medical Association, November 2016
- State Medical Marijuana Laws and the Prevalence of Opioids Detected Among Fatally Injured Drivers, Kim, American Journal of Public Health, November 2016
- National Estimates of Marijuana Use and Related Indicators — National Survey on Drug Use and Health, United States, 2002–2014, Azofeifa, Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, September 2016
- Heavy Cannabis Use Is Associated With Low Bone Mineral Density and an Increased Risk of Fractures, Sophocleous, American Journal of Medicine, September 2016
- Maternal Marijuana Use has Independent Effects on Risk for Spontaneous Preterm Birth but Not Other Common Late Pregnancy Complications, Leemaqz, Reproductive Toxicology, July 2016
- Cannabis Use and Risk of Psychiatric Disorders Prospective Evidence From a US National Longitudinal Study, Blanco, Journal of the American Medical Association Psychiatry, April 2016
- Association Between Lifetime Marijuana Use and Cognitive Function in Middle Age The Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults (CARDIA) Study, Auer, Journal of the American Medical Association Internal Medicine, February 2016
Educational Campaigns to Promote Responsible Perspectives on Marijuana
Current and Potential Marijuana Laws
Updated: December 20116